A recent Gladiator® GarageWorks survey found that Canadians’ garages are not the organized oasis they dream of. The majority of Canadians (76%) claim they’ve tried to organize their garage within the last year, but only 7% admit that it is truly organized. Why? According to the survey, there’s a good chance that Canadians are guilty of at least one of the following seven sins of garage disorganization:
Sin #1: Procrastination – Almost one third (29%) of Canadians are organizational procrastinators putting off the task of cleaning their garage.
- Ontarians (35%) and Atlantic Canadians (31%) are the most likely to put off cleaning their garage. Residents of these provinces are also most likely to say they don’t have time to clean.
Sin #2: Frustration – Almost one quarter (24%) of Canadians get annoyed and frustrated when they can’t find things in their garage.
- Atlantic Canadians (38%) by far experience the most frustration locating items in the garage.
Sin #3: Abandonment – More than 20% of Canadians admit to using their garage as a dumping ground for unwanted items.
- Women (24%) are more likely than men (16%) to use their garage to keep things out of sight and out of mind.
Sin #4: Garage Envy – 17% of Canadians admit to being envious of a neighbour’s garage.
- Residents of the Atlantic provinces (27%) are most likely to admit being envious of a neighbour’s garage.
Sin #5: Hoarding – 17% of Canadian men admit to keeping so much stuff in their garage that it can’t be used for its intended purpose (to park a car).
Sin #6: Despair – One in ten Canadians (10%) has given up on having the garage of their dreams.
- Ontarians (13%) are most likely to say they’ve given up on having their ultimate garage.
Sin #7: Stink – Fortunately, only 2% of Canadians admit to ever having found an unidentifiable foul odour in their garage. In related findings:
- Almost half (44%) of Canadians use their garage to sort recycling or to store garbage.
- 5% of Canadians have never cleaned out their garage.
A little inspiration can help turn Canadian garage chaos into an efficient work and storage area. Crawl out from under the clutter by selecting a modular system with adaptable cabinets, bins and hooks, like the Gladiator® GarageWorks system, which will grow and change with your lifestyle and family needs. Gladiator GarageWorks is available through the Sears catalogue and at Lowe’s stores across the country.